We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
It takes a lot to prepare for a wedding. There are invitations to send, a venue to set, and a dress to choose! Even when choosing what dress you want to wear, you have to think about the finer details. For example, if you want to wear a strapless dress, should you wear a necklace?
The short answer is yes! So long as the necklace matches your dress’s style and the theme of your wedding, you’ll be able to wear it down the aisle without causing a fashion faux pas.
In this guide, we’ll detail:
- The different kinds of necklaces you can choose from
- Different strapless dress neckline cuts
- The necklaces that look best with each neckline
- The other jewelry you can wear while walking down the aisle
- What necklaces look best with an off-the-shoulder dress
Even though you should feel free to wear whatever necklace you like, you may want to learn more before choosing one at random. Compare the neckline of your dress to the drop of your necklace, and don’t forget your other jewelry! With a little bit of forethought, you’ll create a wedding day look than none of your attendees will readily forget.
Should You Wear A Necklace With A Strapless Wedding Dress?
So you’ve chosen the dress you want to wear for your wedding. It’s strapless, fits you perfectly, and really reflects your style. Now that you’re choosing accessories, you’re wondering: should you wear a necklace with a strapless wedding dress?
What Kind Of Necklines Can You Work With While Wearing A Strapless Dress?
You’ll be choosing your strapless neckline before you choose your necklace. Your neckline will have a direct impact on the type of necklace you should wear. The two most common necklines to appear on strapless dresses include:
- Sweetheart Necklines – these necklines mimic the top half of a heart in shape. They’re ideal for women with fuller chests, as they’ll accentuate the area.
- Sabrina Necklines – a subtler neckline, the Sabrina neckline follows the curve of the collarbone via a straight cut.
As you might guess, sweetheart dresses are ideal for longer necklaces, while Sabrina necklines work well with shorter necklaces. That said, you can also wear statement necklaces with Sabrina necklines, even though the style clashes with the sweetheart necklace.
But what are the different styles of necklaces you have available to you?
What Kind Of Necklaces Can You Wear?
Once you’ve settled on a neckline, you’ll need to decide what kind of necklace you might want to wear with your wedding dress. There are a number of different types of necklaces, including:
- Bib Necklaces – these larger necklaces are made up of multiple gems, stones, or pearls, and serve as statement pieces for an outfit.
- Chokers – operating either as a single band or as several bands of small gems, these necklaces can be elegant or bold, depending on their style and make.
- Satlada – these seven-tier necklaces go unmatched by other wedding day accessories and will unquestionably steal the show.
- Lariat – these chainless necklaces are simple and have loops on either end. They are one of the simpler necklaces you can choose to wear on your wedding day.
- Chain Necklaces – the most variable type of necklace, chain necklaces can operate alone or come in sets. You can accessorize these necklaces on your own or work with one that’s been pre-made.
- Collar Necklaces – like chokers, collar necklaces bring attention to the neck. That said, collar necklaces gently swoop over the collarbones instead of resting against the neck.
- Graduated Necklaces – these necklaces start small near the clasps but will grow larger, in terms of gem size, as they come to rest against your chest.
- Statement Necklace – a longer necklace, a statement necklace typical hits its wearer at mid-chest and accentuates that ending point with a stylized pendant.
If you’re borrowing a necklace from a loved one or buying one new at a jewelry store, make sure you know what kind of make it is before investing!
For more information, check out our post on all of the different types of necklaces!
What Necklaces Look Best With a Strapless Wedding Dress?
Again, you should feel free to wear any of the aforementioned necklaces with your strapless wedding dress. There are some, however, that look better with the overall appearance of the dress than others.
Bib necklaces, for example, serve as excellent statement pieces that stand out against simple dresses. If you feel like you need to draw more attention to your bling on your wedding day, then you can easily pair this type of necklace with a strapless wedding dress. Salada necklaces work in much the same way, adding serious glow to your outfit and standing out while you’re walking down the aisle.
Alternatively, you may want to take a more subtle approach to your jewelry. In this case, you can rely on a collar or choker necklace. These necklaces can be thin or thick, depending on your preference, but their lack of sway will keep them from detracting from the rest of your outfit.
Again, be sure to consider your dress’s neckline before committing to a necklace. A bib necklace may accidentally overlap with your dress is you’re wearing a Sabrina neckline, in which case a choker would be more appropriate.
What Other Jewelry Should You Wear With a Strapless Wedding Dress?
Once you’ve got your necklace sorted, you may be wondering: what other pieces of jewelry can I wear with a strapless wedding dress? That all depends on how ostentatious you want your wedding outfit to be. Whether you’re looking to go in glowing or walk the aisle bare, you can follow these basic jewelry tips:
- Earrings – strapless wedding dresses look excellent when you wear a pair of complementary, statement earrings. Long earrings will draw in the eye where studs won’t, so experiment with the color and size of your ear-wear – while also making sure it matches the overall theme of your dress!
- Other Piercings – that said, depending on the style of your wedding, you may want to remove your other piercings for your special day. Unless your nose ring or eyebrow piercing is essential to your overall look or preferred perception, they may overwhelm the rest of your look.
- Rings – obviously, the most important piece of jewelry you take away from your wedding day is a brand new ring. It’s up to you whether or not to leave your other fingers bare, but try not to wear any additional rings that might outshine your new rock.
- Bracelets – when it comes to wearing bracelets, symmetry is key. You’ll want to balance out the appearance of a strapless wedding dress, so make sure you’re willing to commit to matching bangles if you choose to wear bracelets.
- Anklets – different cultures have different options about the appearance of an anklet on a wedding day. Consult your family to determine what step is right for you. It’s worth noting, though, that anklets are excellent jewelry additions to barefoot or boho weddings.
Should You Wear a Necklace With An Off-The-Shoulder Wedding Dress?
If you’ve gone with an off-the-shoulder dress instead of a strapless one, what should your necklace etiquette look like?
The lesson here is much the same as the one above. You can wear whatever necklace you like on your wedding day! However, a necklace worn alongside an off-the-shoulder wedding dress will be the star of your jewelry show (excluding, of course, your wedding ring).
You can wear a statement necklace, choker, or a bib, so long as it doesn’t overwhelm your dress’s style. Make sure, though, that you pair your necklace with simple earrings and otherwise understated jewelry. Let your necklace shine, and you’ll find that your wedding outfit receives compliments for years to come.