Flip flops are really popular during the summer. They are simple and easy to put on. Another great thing about them is that they are extremely easy to personalize. This post is going to explore 11 creative ways to put your spin on your flip-flops.
Flip flops can be a fun art project. The only limit to the ways to decorate and embellish flip flops is your own creativity. As a result, the internet is full of gorgeous and unique DIY flip-flop decorations. Here are 11 ideas to get you started:
- Fabric scraps
- Metal and Charms
- Soft Ribbon
- Water Balloons
Even if you are artistically challenged, this post will help you learn how to create unique styles that your friends will rave about. We will also include how to put straps and other embellishments on your flip-flops.
1. Fabric Scraps
[PIN id="313563192808969685" description="hide" size="small"] [/PIN]
If you sew or do many craft projects, you might have a lot of leftover fabric. You can use this excess fabric to create gorgeous flip flops. All you need is fabric that can be cut into four strips (approximately 7 inches by 45 inches), flip flops, and scissors.
- First, cut off the flip flop straps so that you have a pair of soles.
- If you want to tie your flip flops to create a Bohemian style, like these flip flops by Inspired Life, use your scissors to make holes about a quarter-inch down from the holes on the bottom of the flip flop. If you want normal flip-flops, skip this step.
- Next, cut the fabric into 4 1.5 inch strips, and fold two of the strips in half. Then lay them next to each other and use the scissor tip to poke them through the top hole of the flip flop.
- Knot them together on top of and the underside of the sole.
- Arrange the straps and then pull the strips down through each of the bottom holes.
- If you want regular flip flops, tie the straps on the bottom of the shoe and cut off the excess material. To make them tie-up, pull them through the holes you created under the bottom holes.
- They are now ready to wear.
[PIN id="119626933827723456" description="hide" size="small"] [/PIN]
Rhinestones look like gemstones, but they are made of glass. They are relatively inexpensive and can be easily added to bedazzle your flip-flops. All you need is glue (E6000 is recommended) and possibly a rhinestone applicator, paintbrush, or wooden stick to apply the glue. You may also want a container to put the glue in.
When you buy them, you will want to know how big you want them. They come in sizes 4 SS (1.5 to 1.7 mm) up to 48 SS (10.9 to 11.3 mm). This size range is based on Global Bead's Inc size chart. If you want to decorate flip flops, many people use size 16ss, but this depends on personal preference.
How To Decorate Flip Flops With Rhinestones
There are a couple of different ways to apply rhinestones. The most basic premise is that you use some kind of applicator and E-6000 glue to apply the rhinestones to your shoe. You can use all the same size or experiment with different sizes to get different looks.
Since there are a couple of different ways to do this, we decided to include two videos and a website to explain the various methods of rhinestone application. In this YouTube video, My Life On The Hill explains how to use a paintbrush.
Rhinestone Dazzle explains how to use an E-6000 rhinestone applicator in this video.
Flowers are perfect for spring or summer. You can buy or create flowers that are fabric, gemstones, or metal. You can do a ring of small flowers, a combination of big and small flowers, or have one big flower centered on the strap. No matter what you choose, it will look perfect for the season.
[PIN id="446630488026413870" description="hide" size="small"] [/PIN]
There are a lot of different kinds, shapes, and colors of beads. As a result, using beads to decorate your flip flops opens the door to an assortment of different styles and looks. For someone who wants to make their flip-flips show off their personal style, beads are an excellent choice.
How To Decorate Flip Flops With Beads
Depending on the design you are going for, the number and type of beads you will need changes. However, the most common supplies you will need to bead your flip flops are beads, flip flops, scissors, a needle, and jewelry thread.
There are a ton of interesting bead ideas. For inspiration, you can check out Angela's DIYs Bead Flip Flops on Youtube.
[PIN id="564216659548940838" description="hide" size="small"] [/PIN]
Buttons are cheap and easy to decorate with. To decorate your flip flops with buttons, you will need buttons, thread, a needle, pliers, and flip flops. " target="_blank" rel="noopener">Angela's DIYs has an easy, cute summer idea involving buttons.
If you are curious about making flip flops like the one above, Hubpages has detailed instructions. For your convenience, we included basic instructions below. This one requires a little bit different supplies than some of the other ideas. In addition to flip flops, it also requires buttons, old fabric, a glue gun, string, a needle, super glue, and possibly a hammer and nail.
- First, cut a small square piece of cloth and tuck it under the straps of your flip flop. When you are done, use a marker to trace the straps and cut two cloths.
- Next, take the cloth you just cut and use a hot glue gun to glue the cloth to the straps.
- After it dries, use the hot glue gun to add buttons. Alternatively, you can use a needle and thread to sew the buttons on.
[PIN id="237424211595973290" description="hide" size="small"] [/PIN]
Flip flops with ruffles are cute, feminine, and summery. Depending on the fabric you use, you can create any mood. The primary way to create ruffles involves scissors, fabric or ribbon, fusible medium weight interfacing, a pattern, and hook and loop tape.
The internet is full of ruffled flip-flop ideas. If you need some pattern ideas, watch Pretty Little Diva's Craft Class in the video below to create ruffled flower flip flops.
7. Gemstones and Crystals
[PIN id="289356344820088318" description="hide" size="small"] [/PIN]
Gemstones and crystals are similar to rhinestones. However, while rhinestones are made of glass, gemstones are made with the actual mineral. Rhinestones usually have a foil back that makes them sparkle, and gemstones will not have this back. Some artificial gemstones look more like rhinestones.
Adding gemstones and crystals to your flip flops will add a sparkle and a more elegant look. Angie Mozilo has a video on Youtube that explains how to do this. You will need your crystal, flip flops, adhesive, and a nail file, potentially.
[PIN id="344525440218818049" description="hide" size="small"] [/PIN]
For people who make paracord bracelets, you may want to try out this idea. You make paracord flip flop straps the same way you make a paracord bracelet, except you use the flip flop strap for the center. To make paracord shoes, you will need 36 feet of paracord, scissors, and a lighter.
Birthday Bullseye's tutorial will help you make paracord flip flops like a pro.
9. Soft Ribbon
Using ribbon to embellish your flip flops is easy and fun. It makes a great activity at sleepovers. Ribbon is inexpensive and comes in a lot of varieties. You can add buttons, flowers, or other embellishments and ribbons to create an incredibly unique, personalized look.
How Do You Decorate Flip Flops With Ribbon?
To make the basic ribbon flip flop, you will need ribbon, flip flops, and scissors. The Classy Chapter has a great DIY pattern that explains how to make ribbon flip flops.
1. Cut between 14-20 ribbons that are 6 inches in length. This number will change depending on the size of your shoe.
2. Tie the ribbon securely around the flip flop strap. Repeat this until you have used the desired number of ribbons.
For people who want to add beads and ribbons to their design, Angela's DIYs has a great video about this.
10. Water Balloons
[PIN id="11751649014720834" description="hide" size="small"] [/PIN]
This is the ultimate summertime idea. These flip flops are fun and colorful. In addition to that, they are easy and fun to make. All you need, in addition to flip flops, is 120 water balloons. To make them, all you do is tie the water balloons onto your flip flop's strap.
[PIN id="152348399869518121" description="hide" size="small"] [/PIN]
This one is the easiest method for artists. To add your personal flair to your flip flops, buy some paint, stencils, markers, stickers, or any other medium you prefer. Then create beautiful designs on your flip-flops.
How Do You Put Straps On Flip Flops?
[PIN id="88875792616588184" description="hide" size="small"] [/PIN]
Add a Strap
Sometimes adding a strap to the back of your flip flop will make it easier and more comfortable to wear. If you want to add straps to your flip-flops, it isn't hard. You will need elastic and fabric scraps.
- Using the edge of the flip flop, measure the length you need for the back strap by pulling a string around the plastic toe strap end, pull it to the edge of the shoe, and then take it to the other strap. Then cut it and measure the length of the string.
- Cut a fabric strip to 2.5 inches wide by 1.5 times the length of your elastic plus one inch extra for seam allowance.
- Attach the elastic to the flip flop by making a loop around one of the flip flop straps, pin the strap in place, and sew it two times to make sure it's strong. Repeat on the other side.
If you want to redo the straps that are already on your flip-flops, follow the steps below:
1. First, remove the flip flop straps.
2. Cut your fabric. Take the fabric and make the ends pointy so they will fit through the flip flop holes easier.
3. Place the ends of two strips of fabric through the top hole, tie the two pieces together with a small knot to fit in the hole on the bottom, and then cut the extra fabric.
4. Go back to the top of the shoe and tie a knot an inch from the toe hole, then tie a second knot behind the first one.
5. Next, put the fabric through the back holes, then try the flip flop on and adjust the straps until they fit your foot.
6. Once they are adjusted, tie knots on the bottom of the flip flop to keep the straps in place.
7. Walk around in them and make sure they are comfortable.
How Do You Make Sparkle Flip Flops?
[PIN id="260716265898192341" description="hide" size="small"] [/PIN]
Adding a bit of sparkle to your flip-flops is a simple way to make them more fashionable. To make sparkle flip flops, you will need glitter, a paintbrush, sandpaper, Mod Podge, newspaper, and of course, your flip flops. Angela's DIYs has a video on YouTube that explains in detail how to make glitter flip flops.
How Do You Embellish Flip Flops?
As you can see by reading this article, there are a ton of ways you can embellish your flip-flops. Practically any medium is usable, depending on what you like to work with. Embellishing your flip-flops is a great way to make a cheap pair of shoes look like a designer pair.
You can add beads, glitter, flowers, charms, buttons, or paint directly on your shoes. The internet is full of great DIY ideas to get you started.
Now you have some ideas on how to decorate your shoes. We talked about how to use eleven different styles to create fashionable shoes out of cheap flip flops.
If you enjoyed this article, click the links below to check out some other interesting posts on this blog.